5 Things to Start Doing in 2018
- START WORKING OUT: If you’re a basketball player in 2018, working out with weights, treadmills, training videos, and extra gym work is a must. Obviously, you don’t want to lift too much weight or spend too much time away from family. However, all of the top players are putting in extra work outside of school and outside of their respective AAU teams. If you’re not doing these things you’re going to experience a struggle against top opponents.
- GET GOOD GRADES: Working on yourself is key. Making your brain strong is at the top of the list. It doesn’t matter if you’re having social problems, family issues, financial struggles, or problems avoiding distractions in school. Learn to block out the distractions. What those teachers are trying to teach isn’t always about retaining information. It’s also about exercising your brain. Those brain exercises help you learn to think clear, be stronger, more alert, and more confident with yourself. Retaining information on who was involved in the War of 1812 isn’t as important as listening to the teacher tell the stories, give instructions, answer the teachers test questions, and move forward to the next thing.
- IGNORE ANYONE IN THE CROWD: Most likely, the crowd coming to watch you is made up of parents and students. Students are going to yell and make fun of players that make mistakes. It doesn’t even matter if players break ankles anymore. The act of just falling down seems to get the crowd going. Funny last names, haircuts, injuries, and errors are all fair game nowadays. Plus, parents are going to be yelling at the referees, shouting instructions to players, or yelling at each other. You just have to learn how to block out everything around you. If you don’t you will not succeed or perform at your best.
- DON’T WEAR BASKETBALL SHOES OUTSIDE: Concrete and roads having oil on them from cars. They also have trash and gum that can mess up your shoes. Walking in the grass can get chemicals on the bottom of your shoes. All of these things can break down the basketball shoes ability to stick to the floor. Have a pair of basketball shoes and a pair of outside shoes or slippers. Doing these things will help your feet perform well on the basketball floor.
- THINK POSITIVE: If you think positive thoughts, you will succeed more often than not. Think about yourself performing well, making shots, working hard, getting smarter, making lots of money, having great friends, and planning your future out. Don’t think about all of these things at the same time, but you get the point. Think positive thoughts all the time. Even when you’re angry at something. Think positive. Be so positive and happy that it irritates some people. If you’re aggravating a couple of people, then you’re doing a great job. Set goals and be positive.